Emergency Department

Approximately 9.5 million Americans are at risk for a potentially life threatening systemic reaction to an insect sting.2,3,4 Thankfully, many of these individuals will never experience the sting which would produce this reaction. However, for those who do go through such a traumatic incident, it is important for Emergency Department personnel to Bee Aware.

Patients with insect sting sensitivity need to know their options. They shouldn’t have to live in fear of going outdoors, and you can help. Instruct these patients in how to best avoid insect stings, educate them on Venom Immunotherapy and inform them of how to get in touch with an allergist. Be sure to prescribe epinephrine and teach them how to use it.

Every time a patient who experienced a severe allergic reaction to an insect sting leaves the emergency department without the proper information, there is a chance that they will suffer a more severe allergic reaction, or even death, the next time they are stung. By providing these patients with adequate information you can potentially help to save a life.


Related Content

1 Goldberg A., Confino-Cohen, R. Insect sting-inflicted systemic reactions: Attitudes of patients with insect venom allergy. Regarding after-sting behavior and proper administration of epinephrine. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 106 (6): 1184-1189, 2000.
2 Golden BK, Marsh DG, Kagey-Sobotka A, et al. Epidemiology of insect venom hypersensitivity. JAMA. 1989;262:240-244.
3 Valentine MD. Anaphylaxis and stinging insect hypersensitivity. JAMA. 1992;268:2830-2833. 4 U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division, Interim State Population Projections, 2005.